Tuesday 7 July 2015

Into The Woods

This week I made a start on the woods for my gaming table. I have plenty of trees that work for 28mm games and are all based individually. Recently I have been playing a lot more games in 20,15 and 6mm so needed some smaller scale trees.

I managed to obtain around 50 trees from Ebay for under £10 including shipping. They are very nice trees and really work well with 15 and 20mm figures. The only drawback is that I could not work out an easy way of basing them individually so opted to make bases that hold around 5 trees each (I have tended to prefer individual trees and then use felt templates if wanting to represent a wooded area). I have made the bases from fibreboard as it is easy to cut and shape, doesnt warp too easily and is cheap.

The fibreboard bases with trees
 After drilling the holes for the trees I used PVA to fix them to the base and then applied some filler to help hold them in place and give the base some texture. The filler also helps them look more like trees with roots etc.

The bases with added texture
 I still  need to texture the bases with my sand mix and then paint the bases. Should not take much longer to have them done. Then I will start on my river sections, also fibreboard and filler. Just need to work out how I am going to get the shade for the river. I am thinking somewhere between green and brown for the water.

Also on the work station are my Vietnam figures. Another batch have been undercoated and the basecoat is being applied. Once these are painted then it will be time to try out the rules for "Charlie Don't Surf".  Which I am looking forward to trying.
Drybrush applied to the robes and the flesh tone started. 
Hopefully I will have another update shortly based on boardgames that I have been playing and received in the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment